robert mctaggart: top ten cities
- copenhagen – because my heart is where home is.
- manchester – for all your faults, you were good to me for 27 years.
- helsinki/stockholm – for friends, and the joy of being by water.
- buenos aires – infuriating, polluted, conceited, thrilling, colourful and completely alive.
- tbilisi – kala’s warren of ramshackle beauty. being escorted to narikala by teenagers singing beatles songs. kachapauri. and this building…. (see above)
- rio de janeiro – every day brought an “I can’t believe I’m here” moment.
- istanbul – architecture, atmosphere and the sheer pleasure of squandering an afternoon with nargileh, mint tea and good company.
- vilnius – green and bohemian, warm nights and cold beer at uzupio kavine.
- moscow – bloody-minded, a little bit terrifying, thoroughly exhilarating. the new tretyakov gallery and the patriarch ponds.
- berlin – because at night, the possibilities just seem so endless.
if this has done anything it’s served to make me want to go to the far east, the west coast of the US and everywhere else. I am aware that I have neglected entire continents. that is something I promise to put right in the near future. and I only left out paris because it seemed too obvious.
mark robinson’s top ten list
- haruki murakami 1Q84 (book).
- moonrise kingdom (film)
- miranda july – it chooses you (book)
- national geographic (magazine)
- la kings tee-shirt
- estoner the stump will rise (lp)
- the truth (podcast)
- roxy music, the complete studio recordings (boxed set)
- too much information (wfmu podcast)
- lana del ray, “video games” (single)
yoshi the aislers set’s top ten list
- chickfactor new york – lois!
- chickfactor london – the pastels!
- game of thrones
- deerhoof, breakup songs 5. grouper and jeffre cantu-ledesma performing circular veil at HAU2 in berlin
- jiro dreams of sushi
- françois & the atlas mountains, e volo love 8. janet cardiff & george bures miller exhibit at haus der kunst in munich
- je suis animal at indie pop days in berlin
- finally getting around to reading middlesex by jeffrey eugenides while on the beach in sardegna.
rachel blumberg: top ten hot sauces of 2012
- saucesome – red (from portland!)
- saucesome – green
- matouk’s calypso sauce
- salsa huichol
- poblano hot sauce – red jalapeno
- pepper plant sauce – chunky garlic
- cholula – original
- tabasco – smokey chipotle
lisa the mad scene: 10 things I enjoyed the most in 2012 (in no particular order)
- harold lloyd film festival at film forum
- fence awaygame festival on the isle of eigg in july
- seamus fogarty god damn you mountain lp and live performance (counting as one under the seamus fogarty umbrella)
- reading little dorrit (dickens)
- the song “heart heart” by withered hand
- james yorkston I was a cat from a book lp
- drinking bourbon cocktails
- olo worms, yard is open lp
- volunteering with taran at the woodstock farm animal sanctuary
- walking up an sgurr and spending some time at the top sipping scotch and eating cheese with ade, mark and offramp, and then walking back down again.
top ten artists gail would like to see reactivated in 2013
- opal / kendra smith
- squirrel bait
- containe / the pacific ocean
- marine girls
- dolly mixture
- salem 66
- the cocteau twins
- the sundays