we had a pretty fabulous 20th-anniversary year, with 12 nights of amazing events: two nights at artisphere in arlington, va. one at maxwell’s in hoboken. three at the amazing bell house in brooklyn. one at bunk bar in portland, oregon. one at bootleg bar in l.a. one at the rickshaw stop in s.f. three in london: horseshoe pub, bush hall and the lexington. thanks to the bands (quite a lineup if we do say so), the audiences, the soundpersons, the merch sellers, the amp bringers, the putter uppers, the drink getters & esp hangover lounge, other music, mike slumberland, and todd abramson for everything!
the aislers set
amor de días
bridget st john
hangover lounge djs
harvey williams & josh gennet
the jim ruiz set
the legendary jim ruiz group
the lois plus
the real tuesday weld
selector dub narcotic
photo by tae won yu
inside the new issue is some pretty great content!
- an interview with hannah and lillian from the mighty grass widow
- an interview with the awesome joe pernice (pernice brothers, chappaquiddick skyline, new mendicants, scud mountain boys)
- bushwick pop powerhouse frankie rose grants us an interview
- dawn sutter madell interviews the lovely, constantly touring sharon van etten
- gaylord fields (wfmu) chats with the super-influential music fan joe boyd
- lisa siegel (mad scene) chats with kenny anderson, one of the forces behind fife’s fence records & king creosote
- black tambourine tells all (even if we’ve already interviewed a few of them in these pages before)
- liam hayes and plush gives us a brief but illuminating interview — he has recorded two new LPs and is doing the soundtrack for a new roman coppola film
- gail interviews the talented drummer / artist rachel blumberg (m ward, arch cape, decemberists, michael hurley, etc)
- a jukebox jury with the amazing corin tucker band
- gail and connie try to uncover the mysterious bill callahan
- gail and peter momtchiloff have a lengthy chat about art with the creative powerhouse tae won yu
- lisa levy talks to uk cultural critic / punk-rock feminist caitlin moran
- daniel handler conducts an interview with his friend/collaborator maira kalman + travel tips
- lots of silly polls and tons of reviews! a new chickfactor cocktail recipe by dan searing!
edited by gail o’hara, the issue’s art director is gregg einhorn and our amazing writers and contributors for CF17 are: daniel handler, sukhdev sandhu, gaylord fields, dawn sutter madell, lydia vanderloo, alistair fitchett, bryce edwards, connie lovatt, dan searing, erica braverman, isaac bess, janice headley, jennifer o’connor, kendall meade, kurt reighley, lisa levy, lisa siegel, liz clayton, michael white, peter momtchiloff, pete paphides, rebecca braverman, robert mctaggart, robin davies, tae won yu, tim hopkins and wayne davidson.