* * *
chickfactor 25: a series of fortunate events (new york edition)
celebrating 25 years of music, friendship and community
Thursday, November 2
Doors 7:30, Show 8 at Union Pool
THE PACIFIC OCEAN
BRIDGET ST JOHN
+ MC SUKHDEV SANDHU
* * *
Saturday, November 4
Doors 1:30, Show 2pm // AFTERNOON SHOW at Union Pool
+ VERY SPECIAL GUESTS
+ MC GAYLORD FIELDS
The Pacific Ocean
Bridget St John
Plus, Very Special Guests
Tae Won Yu & Rachel Carns formed this powerful union in New York via Olympia, WA, in 1989. This is their first-ever show in the UK. A double LP reissue of their early work, This Being the Ballad of Kicking Giant, Halo: NYC/Olympia 1989–1993, will come out on Drawing Room Records later this year. They rarely play live and haven’t played NYC in forever.
The Pacific Ocean was a NYC indie featuring Edward Baluyut (Versus), Connie Lovatt (Alkaline, Containe) and drummer Steve Pilgrim. They made two records for chickfactor’s flagship label (Enchanté Records) and haven’t played a show in ages.
Bridget St John is an English singer-songwriter and guitarist, best known for the three albums she recorded between 1969 and 1972 for John Peel’s Dandelion record label. Peel produced her debut album Ask Me No Questions. She has played at many chickfactor parties including CF20 in 2012 in both London and New York.
Honeybunch is an indiepop band from Providence, Rhode Island, formed in 1987 by Velvet Crush member Jeffrey Underhill. They have played at many chickfactor parties including CF20 in 2012.
is a Nashville-born, New York-based country music artist. A longtime DJ for WFMU, Ms. Cantrell has been making beautiful records since her debut, Not the Tremblin’ Kind, way back in Y2K. She was a friend and favorite of the late John Peel. Her most recent release, Laura Cantrell At The BBC, compiles the best of her UK radio performances from 2000-2005, tracing the arc of her rise as an Americana artist on the airwaves of the British Broadcasting Corporation.
Joe Pernice has made a lot records with the Pernice Brothers, Scud Mountain Boys, The New Mendicants (with Norman Blake) and Roger Lion (with hip-hop producer Budo.) He is also a novelist and a TV writer. He and Joyce Linehan have owned Ashmont Records, Inc. in Dorchester, MA. since 1999.
Cotton Candy is Mark Robinson (from the bands Unrest, Air Miami, Grenadine, Flin Flon) and Evelyn Hurley (Blast Off Country Style). Their band, which is mostly a cappella, focuses on reinventing advertising jingles and other radio and TV commercials and PSAs. Mark and Evelyn also run the Teen-Beat label. We saw them recently in Portland and they were delightful and fun!
this is chickfactor 17, which you can order here.
inside the new issue is some pretty great content!
- an interview with hannah and lillian from the mighty grass widow
- an interview with the awesome joe pernice (pernice brothers, chappaquiddick skyline, new mendicants, scud mountain boys)
- bushwick pop powerhouse frankie rose grants us an interview
- dawn sutter madell interviews the lovely, constantly touring sharon van etten
- gaylord fields (wfmu) chats with the super-influential music fan joe boyd
- lisa siegel (mad scene) chats with kenny anderson, one of the forces behind fife’s fence records & king creosote
- black tambourine tells all (even if we’ve already interviewed a few of them in these pages before)
- liam hayes and plush gives us a brief but illuminating interview — he has recorded two new LPs and is doing the soundtrack for a new roman coppola film
- gail interviews the talented drummer / artist rachel blumberg (m ward, arch cape, decemberists, michael hurley, etc)
- a jukebox jury with the amazing corin tucker band
- gail and connie try to uncover the mysterious bill callahan
- gail and peter momtchiloff have a lengthy chat about art with the creative powerhouse tae won yu
- lisa levy talks to uk cultural critic / punk-rock feminist caitlin moran
- daniel handler conducts an interview with his friend/collaborator maira kalman + travel tips
- lots of silly polls and tons of reviews! a new chickfactor cocktail recipe by dan searing!
edited by gail o’hara, the issue’s art director is gregg einhorn and our amazing writers and contributors for CF17 are: daniel handler, sukhdev sandhu, gaylord fields, dawn sutter madell, lydia vanderloo, alistair fitchett, bryce edwards, connie lovatt, dan searing, erica braverman, isaac bess, janice headley, jennifer o’connor, kendall meade, kurt reighley, lisa levy, lisa siegel, liz clayton, michael white, peter momtchiloff, pete paphides, rebecca braverman, robert mctaggart, robin davies, tae won yu, tim hopkins and wayne davidson.