chickfactor 17 features interviews with grass widow, bill callahan, black tambourine, caitlin moran, fence records / king creosote, frankie rose, joe boyd, joe pernice, liam hayes / plush, maira kalman, rachel blumberg, sharon van etten and tae won yu; a jukebox jury with the corin tucker band; lots of silly polls and expertly written music and book reviews. click here to mail order a copy or pick one up at these prestigious establishments….
stores selling chickfactor 17:
Other Music (NYC)
Beacon Sound (Portland OR)
Powell’s (Portland OR)
What Cheer? (Providence RI)
Needles & Pens (SF)
End of an Ear (Austin)
Atomic Books (Baltimore)
Skylight Books (Los Angeles)
Criminal Records (Atlanta)
Landlocked (Bloomington IN)
Monorail (Glasgow, Scotland)
The Telegraph (New London, CT)
Sonic Boom (Seattle)
• Are you a book or record store that wants to sell chickfactor? Send us a message here.
• We also have a new Etsy store where you can buy a bundle of back issues, letter-press coasters from half pint press, lovely posters by tae won yu, chickfactor mixtapes and (soon) limited-edition prints and vintage clothing.
this is chickfactor 17, which you can order here.
inside the new issue is some pretty great content!
- an interview with hannah and lillian from the mighty grass widow
- an interview with the awesome joe pernice (pernice brothers, chappaquiddick skyline, new mendicants, scud mountain boys)
- bushwick pop powerhouse frankie rose grants us an interview
- dawn sutter madell interviews the lovely, constantly touring sharon van etten
- gaylord fields (wfmu) chats with the super-influential music fan joe boyd
- lisa siegel (mad scene) chats with kenny anderson, one of the forces behind fife’s fence records & king creosote
- black tambourine tells all (even if we’ve already interviewed a few of them in these pages before)
- liam hayes and plush gives us a brief but illuminating interview — he has recorded two new LPs and is doing the soundtrack for a new roman coppola film
- gail interviews the talented drummer / artist rachel blumberg (m ward, arch cape, decemberists, michael hurley, etc)
- a jukebox jury with the amazing corin tucker band
- gail and connie try to uncover the mysterious bill callahan
- gail and peter momtchiloff have a lengthy chat about art with the creative powerhouse tae won yu
- lisa levy talks to uk cultural critic / punk-rock feminist caitlin moran
- daniel handler conducts an interview with his friend/collaborator maira kalman + travel tips
- lots of silly polls and tons of reviews! a new chickfactor cocktail recipe by dan searing!
edited by gail o’hara, the issue’s art director is gregg einhorn and our amazing writers and contributors for CF17 are: daniel handler, sukhdev sandhu, gaylord fields, dawn sutter madell, lydia vanderloo, alistair fitchett, bryce edwards, connie lovatt, dan searing, erica braverman, isaac bess, janice headley, jennifer o’connor, kendall meade, kurt reighley, lisa levy, lisa siegel, liz clayton, michael white, peter momtchiloff, pete paphides, rebecca braverman, robert mctaggart, robin davies, tae won yu, tim hopkins and wayne davidson.