the first night of our chickfactor london 20th-anniversary party featured a screening of paul kelly’s ace documentary take three girls: the dolly mixture story followed by a pop quiz created by the zine’s cofounders gail and pam and gaylord fields (wfmu dj who also MCed the saturday show at bush hall and DJed upstairs at sunday’s show), who also presented the questions. the questions and answers for the quiz are listed below! the event took place at the horseshoe pub in clerkenwell on friday, november 16.
part one: lyrics to identify
- “I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets / make love to these women languid and bittersweet’’
answer: steely dan, “deacon blues”
- “when we groove on into town / charles atlas he starts to frown”
answer: josef k, “sorry for laughing”
- “nibbling on bacon, chewing on cheese / sammy says to susie ‘honey, would you please be my missus?’ ”
answer: america, “muskrat love”
- “it is your blood I crave / I am the bitch goddess from beyond the grave”
answer: future bible heroes, “I’m a vampire”
- “your eyebrows may be the best thing in town/I’d like to shoot ’em up and make ’em frown”
answer: dolly mixture, “how come you’re such a hit with the boys, jane?”
- “don’t throw your hand / if you feel you’re alone / no no no you are not alone”
answer: r.e.m., “everybody hurts”
- “oh but being with you is like killing bob dylan / if I had to do it I would die”
answer: pipas, “cruel and unusual”
- “beetles and eggs and blues and pour a little everything else / you steam a lense stable eyes and glass”
answer: cocteau twins, “cherry coloured funk”
- “it’s the singer not the song / ‘something’s gone wrong’ said the spider to the fly”
answer: belle and sebastian, “chickfactor”
part two: trivia questions
- what was the first single on caff records?
answer: east village “freeze out” / cath coughlan “Im’ long me measaim”
- what record store did slumberland records boss / black tambourine member mike schulman work at in the u.s.?
answer: vinyl ink, mod lang
- what band recorded the largest number of peel sessions?
answer: the fall (24)
- what dance troupe replaced pan’s people on top of the pops?
answer: ruby flipper
- what motown offshoot released only one single by sammy davis jr?
- who were the three founding members of biff bang pow?
answer: joe foster, alan mcgee, dick green
- what is the name of nick drake’s home in tanworth?
answer: far leys
- what was the flexi only label matt haynes ran that preceded sarah records?
- what fanzine did katrina tender trap publish in the 1990s?
answer: charity shopper
- what was the original name of the clientele?
answer: the butterfly collectors
- what band played the bowlie weekender and is also playing chickfactor 20: for the love of pop! london this weekend?
answer: the pastels
part three: audio clips (the kids only got to hear a few seconds of each)
- “sugarcube” — yo la tengo
- “alone again (naturally)” — gilbert o’sullivan
- “try” — delta 5
- “she cracked” — the modern lovers
- “ce petit coeur” — françoise hardy
- “the most beautiful girl in the world” — prince
- “candy” — the magnetic fields
- “it’ll never happen again” — tim hardin
- “call me maybe” — carly rae jepsen
- “linus” — birdie
- “working girls (sunlight shines)” — the pernice brothers
- “long hot summer” — the style council
- “bigmouth strikes again” — the smiths
the pipas & amor de días team won the quiz, which may be a bit unfair since there were two questions involving pipas and the clientele, but the momtch/travis table took home most of the prizes (chickfactor london posters designed by tae won yu and badges designed by lupe pipas) and non-vegan treats.
quiz photo courtesy of mark pipas!