hey! this year we celebrate our 25th anniversary of pop, music, and community. we will be having some chickfactor parties here and there, probably in october-november.
also we are planning a new zine CHICKFACTOR #18 and welcome any music/film/art/book submissions released in 2016 or 2017. send me an email!
more news coming soon…
sorry our website is a bit of a mess! we moved servers and lost some images, are in the process of fixing them.
the cf.com store needs love & will be sorted out soon! meanwhile, feel free to find back issues on our ETSY STORE.
news coming soon about CF18 the fanzine & CF25 the festival in 2017!
a launch party february 22 at the cleaners (ace hotel) for a new book called revel in portland, which features interviews with and city picks from locals including bridge & burn designer erik prowell, illustrator carson ellis, filmmaker-photographer lance bangs, architect jeff kovel, chef john gorham, designer tinker hatfield, photographer ray gordon, artist alicia mcdaid and chickfactor editor me (gail) — I was interviewed and photographed by the awesome shayla hason. any donation gets you in and gets you a copy of the book. I will have a table set up with some chickfactor 17s, chickfactor mixtapes and maybe some photos! come down. you can also get the book here.
chickfactor 17 features interviews with grass widow, bill callahan, black tambourine, caitlin moran, fence records / king creosote, frankie rose, joe boyd, joe pernice, liam hayes / plush, maira kalman, rachel blumberg, sharon van etten and tae won yu; a jukebox jury with the corin tucker band; lots of silly polls and expertly written music and book reviews. click here to mail order a copy or pick one up at these prestigious establishments….
stores selling chickfactor 17:
Other Music (NYC)
Beacon Sound (Portland OR)
Powell’s (Portland OR)
What Cheer? (Providence RI)
Needles & Pens (SF)
End of an Ear (Austin)
Atomic Books (Baltimore)
Skylight Books (Los Angeles)
Criminal Records (Atlanta)
Landlocked (Bloomington IN)
Monorail (Glasgow, Scotland)
The Telegraph (New London, CT)
Sonic Boom (Seattle)
• Are you a book or record store that wants to sell chickfactor? Send us a message here.
• We also have a new Etsy store where you can buy a bundle of back issues, letter-press coasters from half pint press, lovely posters by tae won yu, chickfactor mixtapes and (soon) limited-edition prints and vintage clothing.
we had a pretty fabulous 20th-anniversary year, with 12 nights of amazing events: two nights at artisphere in arlington, va. one at maxwell’s in hoboken. three at the amazing bell house in brooklyn. one at bunk bar in portland, oregon. one at bootleg bar in l.a. one at the rickshaw stop in s.f. three in london: horseshoe pub, bush hall and the lexington. thanks to the bands (quite a lineup if we do say so), the audiences, the soundpersons, the merch sellers, the amp bringers, the putter uppers, the drink getters & esp hangover lounge, other music, mike slumberland, and todd abramson for everything!
the aislers set
amor de días
bridget st john
hangover lounge djs
harvey williams & josh gennet
the jim ruiz set
the legendary jim ruiz group
the lois plus
the real tuesday weld
selector dub narcotic
photo by tae won yu
this is chickfactor 17, which you can order here.
inside the new issue is some pretty great content!
- an interview with hannah and lillian from the mighty grass widow
- an interview with the awesome joe pernice (pernice brothers, chappaquiddick skyline, new mendicants, scud mountain boys)
- bushwick pop powerhouse frankie rose grants us an interview
- dawn sutter madell interviews the lovely, constantly touring sharon van etten
- gaylord fields (wfmu) chats with the super-influential music fan joe boyd
- lisa siegel (mad scene) chats with kenny anderson, one of the forces behind fife’s fence records & king creosote
- black tambourine tells all (even if we’ve already interviewed a few of them in these pages before)
- liam hayes and plush gives us a brief but illuminating interview — he has recorded two new LPs and is doing the soundtrack for a new roman coppola film
- gail interviews the talented drummer / artist rachel blumberg (m ward, arch cape, decemberists, michael hurley, etc)
- a jukebox jury with the amazing corin tucker band
- gail and connie try to uncover the mysterious bill callahan
- gail and peter momtchiloff have a lengthy chat about art with the creative powerhouse tae won yu
- lisa levy talks to uk cultural critic / punk-rock feminist caitlin moran
- daniel handler conducts an interview with his friend/collaborator maira kalman + travel tips
- lots of silly polls and tons of reviews! a new chickfactor cocktail recipe by dan searing!
edited by gail o’hara, the issue’s art director is gregg einhorn and our amazing writers and contributors for CF17 are: daniel handler, sukhdev sandhu, gaylord fields, dawn sutter madell, lydia vanderloo, alistair fitchett, bryce edwards, connie lovatt, dan searing, erica braverman, isaac bess, janice headley, jennifer o’connor, kendall meade, kurt reighley, lisa levy, lisa siegel, liz clayton, michael white, peter momtchiloff, pete paphides, rebecca braverman, robert mctaggart, robin davies, tae won yu, tim hopkins and wayne davidson.